North Shore-LIJ Offering State of the art TAVR Procedures
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a minimally invasive cardiac surgical procedure performed on high-risk patients suffering from severe aortic stenosis . Approximately 250,000 Americans suffer from severe aortic stenosis, a narrowing of the aortic valve. People with severe aortic stenosis can develop debilitating symptoms that affect normal day-to-day activities.
Traditionally, open-heart surgery has been the most common treatment of severe aortic stenosis. However, patients with severe aortic stenosis are often elderly and have other complicated medical conditions that make it too risky to perform open-heart surgery. These patients, who previously had little or no treatment options, are now being considered for minimally invasive valve replacement at North Shore-LIJ. The North Shore-LIJ Health System was one of the first health systems in the region to offer the TAVR heart valve procedure. Similar to a technique used to implant cardiac stents into clogged arteries, the TAVR procedure involves a physician guiding a catheter through an artery to the heart with an artificial valve attached. Using state-of-the-art imaging, the valve is checked for proper placement. The valve expands and is anchored inside the aorta and blood flow is restored.
The TAVR procedure, also known as Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) has shown to significantly improve survival and quality of life when compared to medical therapies and can serve as a successful alternative to traditional cardiac surgery.
If you think you are a candidate for TAVR, call 1 (855) HEART-11 or click here to email us.
North Shore-LIJ: TAVR Pioneers
North Shore-LIJ is a leader in the treatment of aortic valve disease, offering patients advanced procedures that are only available at experienced tertiary hospitals. Given the success of the TAVR program, the manufacturers of the devices have designated several North Shore-LIJ physicians as national proctors. As proctors, North Shore-LIJ physicians prepare and advise physicians around the country on best practices for transcatheter aortic valve replacements. North Shore-LIJ is honored to be recognized as leaders in this revolutionary cardiac treatment.
The team is committed to participating in new trials that support development of TAVR. Currently, North Shore-LIJ offers patients two options for TAVR, with selection determined by the physician based on each patient's unique condition and needs.
- Sapien Transcathether Aortic Valve -In 2011, LIJ Medical Center was the first facility in Queens and Long Island to implant the FDA-approved Sapien Transcathether Aortic Valve, manufactured by Edwards Lifesciences. This FDA-approved device is now also available at North Shore University Hospital, Southside Hospital and Lenox Hill Hospital.
- Medtronic CoreValve US Pivotal Trial– North Shore University Hospital and Lenox Hill Hospital are among 40 hospitals in the nation selected in 2010 to participate in this trial that evaluates the investigational aortic valve replacement procedure. Participants in trial benefit from four different valve sizes and three entry sites based on the anatomy and size of the patient's arteries.
To learn more about Edwards valve and the Medtronic clinical trial call 1 (855) HEART-11 or click here to email us.
A Cutting Edge Facility,Designed for TAVR
A True, Patient-Centered "Heart Team"
There is very close collaboration between the patient and family, the Coordinator, and the cardiovascular specialists involved in the procedure, including:
- Cardiac Surgeons
- Interventional Cardiologists
- Vascular Surgeons
- Cardiac Anesthesiologists
- Cardiac Imaging and Radiologists
- Clinical Trial and Research Nurses
Call 1(855) HEART-11 or email us to connect with at TAVR coordinator.
Are you a candidate for the TAVR procedure?
If your primary care physician or your cardiologist feel that you are a potential candidate for the TAVR procedure, call us to schedule a consultation at 1 (855) HEART-11.
To learn more about TAVR, call 1 (855) HEART-11 or click here to email us.